Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sorry We Couldn’t Wait - Pressing Business Elsewhere

Lenticolari al tramontoImage by albyper via Flickr

Nikolai Gogol – Russian novelist
"And I shall laugh a bitter laugh."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe – German Romantic poet
"More light! More Light!"

Oliver Goldsmith – English writer on being asked whether his mind was at ease
"No, it is not."

Joseph Green – a surgeon checking his own pulse -
"Congestion --- stopped."

Seaman Grontoft – Norwegian wireless operator
"We are sinking stern first. The boats are smashed. Can’t hold out longer. The skipper dictated that. He ought to know. Where did I put my hat? Sorry, we couldn’t wait for you. Pressing business elsewhere. Skaal."

Richard Halliburton – writer, explorer, adventurer
His last message from the Pacific
"Southerly gales, squalls, lee rail under water, wet bunks, hard tack, bully beef, wish you were here – instead of me."

Mozart (referring to a musical score on which he was working)
"Did I not tell you that I was writing this for myself?"


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: