Thursday, September 3, 2009

David O. Selznick - Gone With the Wind

The last known photograph of Nicholas II, take...Image via Wikipedia

The Producers:

David O. Selznick – Gone With the Wind, A Farewell to Arms

I always worked on the theory that if you make your picture one per cent better you might improve your take ten per cent.

There are only two classes – first class and no class.

I’ve got to do better than Gone With the Wind. I may never make it. But I’ve got to try.

Once photographed, life here is ended. It is almost symbolic of Hollywood. Tara had no rooms inside. It was just a façade. When I go they’ll put on my tombstone, “Here lies the man who made Gone With the Wind.”

David’s father (Lewis J. Selznick – the film pioneer) sent the following telegram to the Czar of Russia when he learned of the Russian Revolution:

When I was a boy in Russia your police treated my people very badly. However no hard feelings. Hear you are now out of work. If you will come to New York, can give you fine position acting in pictures. Salary no object. Reply my expense. Regards you and family.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: