Thursday, September 10, 2009

And Wipe Your Hands on his Canary Bird

Midnight dreamImage by Jano De Cesare via Flickr

The director is the artist of the cinema.

A Cast of directors and their quotes:

Second chances are as rare in Hollywood as ski tows. – Mervyn Le Roy

If Shakespeare were writing Hamlet for me, I’d make him cut a lot of those speaches – too long. – Mervyn Le Roy

Master Bastard, if you please! – Mervyn Le Roy

I can honestly say that I never made a picture I didn’t like. – Marvin Le Roy

I think the true work of an artist can only be accomplished after he is fifty, when he has enriched his life with accumulated experiences. Kenji Mizoguchi

You call this a script? Give me a couple of $5,000-a-week writers and I’ll write it myself. – Joe Pasternak

I believe that an influence ceases when the person receiving it becomes aware of it. – Alain Renais

You can’t go around the theaters handing out cards saying, “It isn’t my fault.” You go on to the next one. – John Sturges

The illusion of reality is what I look for, not reality itself. -–Josef Von Sternberg

No, not ten years ahead. I was twenty years ahead of my time. – Josef Von Sternberg

You can seduce a man’s wife here, attack his daughter, and wipe your hands on his canary bird; if you don’t like his movie, you’re dead. – Josef Von Sternberg



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: