Saturday, February 7, 2009

Darkly Quotable - Groucho Marx

Darkly Quotable Grouch Marx

Groucho Marx – born Julius Henry Marx – 10/02/1890 – 8/19/1977

One of the few performers with the talent and longevity to star in Vaudeville, Broadway, Radio, the Movies and Television. Today Groucho stars posthumously on the Internet.

With only a grade-school education Groucho was a voracious reader and an author. One of my favorite Groucho quotes: I think TV is very educational. Everytime someone turns on a TV, I go in the other room and read. - Groucho Marx

In 1958 while on tour in Germany Groucho climbed on a pile of rubble that marked the site of Hitler’s bunker and performed a two-minute Charleston.

A guest on his You Bet Your Life television show was a woman who had given birth to twenty-two children. “I love my husband,” the woman explained sheepishly.
“I love my cigar too,” Groucho said, “but I take it out once in a while.” – Groucho Marx

A man is as old as the woman he feels. Groucho Marx

Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx

Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy. - Groucho Marx

Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside a dog it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. - Groucho Marx

I don’t have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They’re upstairs in my socks. - Groucho Marx

No comments: