Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Best Smoked Fish Spread

There are many ways people prepare a spread of smoked fish. Begin with a generous amount of good smoked fish. When I make it for four people I use ½ pound. I prefer is amberjack and I remove dark veins and skin.

I keep it simple: I chop the fish into fine chunks, mix in mayonnaise, horseradish, hot sauce and fresh lemon or lime juice to get it to an easily spreadable consistency, break out the crackers and enjoy.

Some people add whipped cream cheese to the above mixture. If you choose to do that you may need a little more hot sauce and horseradish.

You can prepare this early in the day, refrigerate and have it ready in time for afternoon cocktails. The flavors improve as they blend together.

I have seen recipes prepared with low fat mayonnaise and low fat cream cheese. I consider that a waste of good fish- don’t worry about the fat, the sodium alone is enough to kill you.

Enjoy - A Gift From the Sea

No comments: