Saturday, January 3, 2009

Quality versus Quantity

It’s resolution time again. It took less than twenty-four hours for me to hear a young father say that one of his New Year’s resolutions was to spend quality time with his kids.

I’ve made this mistake. Multiple times. More times than I care to feel guilty for.

Quality by its nature is distilled from quantity. The more time you spend with your children the more quality time you will have.

I can’t tell you what the ratio of quality time to total time spent. But I know that high quality time with my children came when least expected. It didn’t come on the beaches of Maui but my son Bryan learned to walk in the Honolulu airport while we waited for a delayed flight.

You just don’t know what’s going to turn into a quality experience that you will remember til the day you die.

No comments: