Monday, November 24, 2008

The Sky is Falling?











I look at the world economic situation and it's ovewhelming. Potentially the worst of our life times. My first thought is how will this will effect me, my wife and our family. But then I stop, and hopefully without too much awfulizing, I recognize there is a world of people living on the edge. On the edge of starvation. People in our own country who are losing their jobs, homes and life savings.

The problem is that it's so easy to sink into business television and the images on the news and lose our way. And if each of us does this then everything that we can awfulize can come true. Our lives and the people we can help are too important for that.

So from this day forward I'm going to ignore what they're saying and just control what I can. Every day do the best I can. Contribute what I can. Keep on keeping on. Work to keep my balance. Focus on what I can do.Maybe if we all do that then we'll get through and we'll have the strength to reach out and help someone else along the way.

And that’s why ten percent of the royalties from the two books I have coming out will be going to the Ocala, Florida Interfaith Food Bank.

Best wishes for all of us.

If this helps, pass it on -

So what does this message of hope have to do with a blog about dark comedy? It has everything to do with dark comedy. The worse the situation the more the need to relax and let your life flow. Reacting can often be the wrong thing to do when times are hard.

So the first step is to break the spell. And how do you do that? The same way you break the ice in most social situations. Say something funny. People have a hard time being afraid and laughing at the same time. In fact it’s close to impossible. And I’m not talking about that nervous little laugh of your brother-in-law.

I’m talking about getting into a comedy, a black comedy or dark comedy and let yourself breathe. Watch actors portray people in a tougher situation than you’re in.Buy yourself time. I’m not talking about denial or any of the other rivers in Africa. I’m talking about 90 minutes of Harold and Maude or Burn After Reading.

Worrying about ninety problems will not do as much as doing something about one problem. And if it’s the right problem – it will make a difference.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments: